Monday, January 01, 1990

The Drunken Jungle

I'd been very inspired by the Poet's Theater work done by Eileen Corder, Carla Harryman, Nick Robinson & others, and was beginning to try my hand at theater. I corralled a couple of actors, rehearsed with them & was raring to go - but none of them showed up at Eye Gallery the night of the performance. I had no choice but to enlist some friends out of the audience on the spot & have them perform the piece with me completely unrehearsed. I believe it was Amy Elliott & Steve Perkins - & maybe Michael Doty as the Dutch sea captain - who came to my rescue. Later this piece was produced by John Reiger with funding from New American Radio & aired nationally. Here's the link to the script.

It wasn't until a couple years later that I realized this piece was about me & my parents when we lived in Indonesia & Venezuela.